24 July 2008

in search of a natural deodorizer

I need a deodorizer that doesn't just mask a smell with a lingering chemical odor. Specifically, I need something to get the stink out of my yoga mat. I've heard plain white vinegar will do the trick. According to the Green Goddess, a spritz of straight vodka will take care of the smell and kill the germs. She also says that 1 cup of water and 20 drops of essential oils like lavendar, tea tree oil, or lemon oil can handle it, but I don't have any of those on hand.

Maybe I'll try the vodka, though it does seem like a waste of good spirit. Spritz for mat, swig for me...
I'll let you know how it goes.

UPDATE: I couldn't bring myself to spill good vodka, so I gave my mat a bath of equal parts white vinegar and water (I happen to have a huge jug of white vinegar around just for cleaning purposes). It may have worked for now, but I fear I'll have to repeat this little process every time I use the mat, which is 3 times a week -- in a hot, sweaty bikram yoga studio. I may be investing in some tea tree oil; the spray solution will be easier and less wasteful of water.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

vodka cleaning party for all!
-A