06 April 2009

my l.o.v.e. day 1 evening

If you've been reading at all today, you know this post is about. (If not, check out the previous posts here, here, and here.)


Sri Swami Satchidananda, founder of IYI

6:00 pm - My friend Amy talks me into going to Integral Yoga with her for some gentle Hatha. I think she thinks Bikram will kick my butt. I haven't been to IYI in a while, so I acquiesce. I get to the studio feeling really hungry. The easeful class is just what I needed. The pacing is slow, but I'm patient.

7:30 pm - Class is over and the hunger strikes again. It's amazing how I didn't feel hungry at all during class. Yoga is magic!

8:15 pm - The first thing I do when I get home is dig into #6, Vanilla Chia (Chia seeds, brazil nuts, agave, vanilla, sea salt). According to Organic Avenue, vanillin, the major constituent of vanilla beans, is one of the most important aromatic flavor compounds used in foods. Vanillin has antioxidant and anti-tumor activity.

Chewing on the Chia is like chomping on tomato seeds. They squish a bit and get stuck in my teeth. The vanilla is comforting.

8:49 pm - I'm still hungry and have one course left. I'm a bit off schedule, I might just half of it and then make myself a cup of chamomile tea. Looking forward to an early bedtime.

I make the mistake of opening a link to a recipe for Irish soda bread. The thought of baked goods and butter make me salivate. I can feel the bread crumbling in my mouth.

I get an encouraging email from the nutrition consultant. She alerts me to some symptoms I might experience (headaches, stiff joints, dizziness, nausea, low energy, runny nose or cough [mucus being released], mood swings, and low-grade fever). Dizziness, check. Low energy, check. Mood swings, check. There's one other symptom that's not on the list - hypersensitivity to the cold. The temp has dropped and I can feel it. My face is tingly and my nose, icy.

She also gives some tips on how to help speed the toxins out of my body. I don't think I'll be taking up the colonic offer - yoga and a facial and/or massage will do.

9:05 pm - It's a little late, but I crack open #7, Coconut Mylk (coconut water and coconut meat). According to Organic Avenue, Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which is known for being anti-viral, antibacterial and anti-fungal. Coconut oil is also used by thyroid sufferers to increase body metabolism, and to lose weight. Good for me since I fit into the thyroid sufferer category.
The "mylk" is so creamy and soothing. It's fulfilling and rich, and leaves a silky residual coating on my tongue.

A search for "coconut" online brings up a video for Harry Nilsson's "Coconut." My dad used to play that record for us over and over again. We'd dance around like little lunatics.

9:33 pm - As I finish the mylk, I feel a little sleepy. The ambrosial drink has satisfied me. Time to put on the tea.

11:14 pm - Getting ever sleepier. Off to bed to rest my weary head.

No comments: