06 April 2009

my l.o.v.e. - day 1 morning

Today is the first day of my raw, vegan fast. I've never done anything like this before, so I thought it'd be a good idea to document the experience. Read more about why I'm doing this here.

8 am - I'm supposed to drink water with fresh lemon juice, but I don't have any lemons so I substitute with apple cider vinegar. I drink up the detoxifying elixir. Nausea ensues.

I didn't sleep well last night, I hope that doesn't affect my level of hunger throughout the day.

8:50 am - I pick up my goodie bag from Organic Avenue. It's heavier than I expect. When I get to the office, I'm actually surprised by the quantity of "food." There are 7 meals, 4 of them liquid. I'm supposed to consume them in the order they are numbered and at the time dictated in an email I received last night. I hope I have enough self control not to eat them all at once.


Today's sustenance

9:09 am - Item #1 is an energy elixir (contents unknown). It's muddy dark green and tastes a bit like matcha green tea. Here are some of the potential benefits: May promote growth of strong nails, smooth skin, and healthy hair, help maintain normal blood-sugar levels, help promote regular intestinal health, digestion, and healthy intestinal flora, stabilize mood swings, support physical health while you heal, and clarify and sharpen your eyesight.

9:30 am - I open item #2, a big bottle of pear juice before the suggested time of 10 am. Was feeling kinda shaky and couldn't take it. The juice is really delicious.

10:14 am - I'm still slowly sipping the pear juice, trying to enjoy every sweet bit of it. I'm hungry and feel a headache coming on. Not sure if this is due to lack of sleep last night or lack of food. I actually feel hungrier than usual. Maybe it's because I'm focusing on the sensations. My next course is 46 minutes away (but who's counting?)

10:59 - By some minor miracle, my hunger is subsiding. I feel less lightheaded and the headache never arrived. I'm drinking lots of water in between courses. Even though it's technically time for course #3, I think I'm going to wait it out a little longer.

11:23 - Oh yeah, I'm hungry! Time for #3. It's a beet red veggie juice, pretty darn tasty (read about the power of the beet here). My belly is feeling kind of full, but I know I'm hungry. I just need to take it slowly.

11:53 - Still sipping on the veggie juice. I feel a bit tingly and hyperalert. So far, the pacing of this is working out okay. I get hungry at just about the time when the next course is up, as long as I drink plenty of water in between.

No comments: